At USL, we see every project as an opportunity to impact positively on the social, economic and environmental prospects of the communities in which we are working. We aim to ensure our clients and stakeholders get the most from their investments and as much as possible remains within the local community.
This Social Values Commitment Statement is supported by our Environmental & Sustainability Strategy as we work to promote our passion for conservation and heritage that improves the quality of life for future generations.
Through collaboration with our supply chain and stakeholders, Universal Stone Ltd. is committed to:
Local business & economy (Safe & diverse supply chains)
- We encourage the use of local resources and labour, reflecting local demographics whilst upholding our principles of equality, inclusion and diversity.
- Provide work/trade opportunities for small, medium, micro-sized businesses, social enterprise and minority owned businesses.
- Procuring goods and services locally (where possible) which in term supports our sustainability policies.
Employment and skills
- Providing our employees and subcontractors with new skills for the future and support for lifelong learning career enrichment.
- Removing barriers to employment in the construction industry for underrepresented and disadvantaged groups.
- Provide opportunities for apprenticeships and work internships to gain new skills within construction and specialist heritage skills.
- Collaborate with educational institutions, industry bodies and charities to offer curriculum support and work experience opportunities.
- Where possible, help local people to obtain skills needed to access employment.
- Offering employment opportunities to those who serve or have served in our armed forces.
- Support our people to live healthier lives.
- We are committed to making a positive contribution throughout our contracts in collaboration with our clients and supply chain partners to foster mutually beneficial relationships.
- We encourage our employees and supply chain to draw upon their skills and expertise to maximise support for local initiatives, through active participation in community and charitable activities.
- We endeavour to work with local charities/organisations on key themes to delivery additional benefits to communities in which we work.
- We ensure the efficient use of resources to manage and reduce our impact on the environment.
- Play our part to reduce air pollution, noise, vibration and nuisance within local communities to improve health.
- Promote sustainable and ethical procurement as well as reduce waste across all our activities.
Inclusion, mental health and wellbeing
- USL aims to lead the heritage construction sector by example to ensure fairness, inclusion and respect for all.
- Create an inclusive environment where all employees can be themselves at work and perform at their best.
- Meet skills demands by acquiring and retaining the best available talent, enhancing our capacity for high performance.
- We measure the embedded social value we create through employment and volunteering.
- Foster a workplace environment and culture that promotes positive mental health and wellbeing and prevents discrimination.
- Increase knowledge and awareness of mental health, wellbeing issues and behaviours.
Governance, measurement & reporting
- Maintaining clear accountability for delivering this policy statement.
- Continuously improving our standards, efficiency and effectiveness.
- We will communicate this statement to our employees, supply chain partners and relevant interested parties and review it on an annual basis.
Management Team at Universal Stone Limited | 2020