Community Church Receives Extensive Masonry Restoration
USL were pleased to be appointed as Principal Contractor for the conservation, restoration and repair works to St Paul’s, a Grade II listed Anglican church in West Hounslow. St Paul’s Church has been at the heart of the vibrant Hounslow West and Hounslow Heath community for well over 100 years. The church features a tower of four-storeys, buttresses at the corners dressed with gargoyles and a broach spire at the South West corner.
The extensive restoration programme applied to all four elevations of this Ragstone and Bath stone dressed church including sensitive render repairs and redecoration of the masonry and windows as well as stone cleaning, lead-work, rainwater goods, drainage reconfiguration and new stone carvings.
The works consisted of:
• The replacement and restoration of the weather vane adorning the spire as well as stone finial.
• Masonry Repairs - Removal of rusted fixings and replacement of blown faced stones.
• The introduction of a stainless steel support frame within the spire tied to the weather vane.
• Cleaning of stone work on exterior.
• Overhaul of rainwater goods.
• Extensive reconfiguration of drainage goods.
• Replacement of lead flashing.
• Window security grilles installed.
• New hand-carved grotesque, crosses and finial.
The works received wide praise on completion for its very high standard of craftsmanship as well as being completed within a strict time constraints to coincide with school term times.