London Church Receives Refurbishment to Improve Usage
St Paul’s Church of England building on Chelmer Road E9 was built in 1891 by the Grocers Company under the Lady Slaney Trust. This local historical and architectural heritage has a Grade II listing status, and holds fond memories for many who were Christened or married here. Unfortunately the church was left derelict for a period of 25 years and during this time it fell into a terrible state of disrepair
.In March 2006, the Clapton Community Seventh-day Adventist Church purchased the lease with the vision to restore this magnificent piece of historical artefact to its former glory and make improvements where possible. There is still much work to be carried out. The total restoration cost of St Paul’s Church is estimated at over £1.5million, partly attributed to the Grade II listing status.
Works carried out by USL specialists included, heating, rewiring, reordering, new WC facilities, construction of DDA access, rebuilding wall and fencing, improving kitchen facilities and the building of new WC facilities as well as drainage.