USL were pleased to carry out the chancel roof repairs at St Mary the Virgin, East Bergholt. This interesting church is in Dedham Vale, a part of Constable country, where the River Stour cuts through rolling landscapes on the Suffolk and Essex borders. Working in partnership with Hanslip & Co Architects, the team carried out repairs to the roof.
The repair programme included;
- Removal of existing cement flaunching and roofing battens.
- Timber repairs and replacement to battens, tiles, and new mortar fillets.
- Full tiling to roof
- New Code 6 lead flashing to the chapel parapet and roof interface.
- New cast iron rainwater goods
- Removal of vegetation on masonry
- Masonry repairs as well as repointing.
- Extensive repairs to the north aisle parapet including dismantling of parapet brickwork for re-building and inspection, rebuilding of coping stones, installation of tie bars for strengthening, removal and replacement of damaged brickwork, and rebuilding of merlons.
- This was inclusive of new lead flashing and limewash of parapet walls.