Restoring the Crowning Glory of Old Leigh
USL were privileged to be involved as main contractor undertaking the sympathetic façade restoration and stone conservation works at St Clements, Leigh on Sea, Essex (also known as Leigh Town Church).
This Grade II* listed parish church is located off Leigh Hill on the upper cliffs overlooking Old Leigh, corresponding with the town’s long seafaring tradition and has been a prominent landmark for shipping in the Thames Estuary.
St. Clements was rebuilt in the late 15th century or early 16th century, although the list of Rectors dates back 1248.
The fabric of the church is of Kentish ragstone and flint rubble, with a Tudor porch constructed of red brick. The medieval structure of the church was sympathetically enlarged and restored in the later C19 and early C20.
Restoration works included;
All stone masonry repairs were carried out by USL’s specialist team of banker masons whilst the parish remained opened to the public.
A beacon for those at sea and a sentinel over the village community.