USL were pleased to have recently completed the sensitive stone conservation and repairs to the South Aisle Walling at The Minster Great Yarmouth (Grade II*). St Nicholas’ Church and Priory was founded by Herbert de Losinga (Bishop of Norwich) in 1101. It is the largest parish church in the country and arguably the oldest building in Great Yarmouth. The project included the replacement of deteriorated stonework.
The restoration programme included;
- Repointing brickwork as well as rebuilding and reusing bricks (where possible).
- Knapped flintwork, gallets and flashwork. Removing of all loose and receded joints, raked out and making good with new shaped flint flakes.
- Where required, the USL team rebuilt flintwork by dismantling existing back to a firm base and rebuilding flintwork in short lifts, taking care to match the existing flintwork.
- Stone masonry repairs: all new stone was carved from Lincolnshire limestone with new stone sections created in USL banker workshop. Stone renewals were carried out to the South Aisle including buttresses and string courses.
- Restoration to rainwater goods and ladder on South Transept and South Aisles.