Repairs and New Memorial Seating Area at Portland
The project included remedial works; stone restoration, new coping stones, dismantling and rebuilding historical stone walls, created new seating area with new paving and benches, hard landscaping and the re-erecting fallen memorials.
The Cemetery was established by the War Office in 1876 for the burial of the soldiers garrisoned at Verne Citadel (part of the harbour defence fortifications) and Royal Navy sailors based at Portland. In 1907 the site was transferred to the Admiralty, who went on to extend the site to the west in 1914. Throughout the WWI, Portland Harbour was used regularly for training exercises and patrols for German U-boats. There are 67 burials from the First World War, 5 of which are unidentified.
This project incorporated the effective coordination of specialist metalworkers to repair cast iron gates, Arborist to carry out tree surveys to ensure public safety and carry out related works, and a specialist landscape professional to assist with garden adjustments related to the project programme. The new paved seating area required extensive adjustments to hedgerows and new plants to encourage biodiversity.
Coordination meetings held on site early on helped to further refine the tender programme into the phased schedule with trade packages on board. This enabled the most effective programme sequencing to enable works to move along smoothly with minimal disruptions.
As with all our projects, internal weekly reports were produced to highlight any potential risks or programme issues, with a formal report being written for the Client to be discussed at the monthly meetings. With strong collaboration between USL in-house stone specialists and supporting subcontractors the project was delivered on-time and to budget.
This successful project was carried out in a sympathetic manner to both those being commemorated, to the memorials themselves and the surrounding public space