Grade II listed heritage barn and chapel are transformed into multi-functional 21st century performance space.
Leiston Abbey Barn and Chapel is part of Suffolk’s most impressive monastic ruins and has some spectacular architectural features. It was founded in 1182 by Ranulf de Glanville, Henry II’s Chief Justiciar, and was dedicated to St Mary. The 15th Century barn is now home to Pro Corda Trust, a music and educational charity. The complex and barn includes a Tudor house, timber framed (brick and flint) with weather-boarded end gables and thatched.
As part of an extensive restoration and development initiative, USL undertook repairs and restorations to both the barn and Lady Chapel. This phase included re-thatching, timber and masonry repairs and improvements to the overall structure of the barn; as well as restoration works to the unused chapel including masonry repairs, internal redecoration including electrical services (rewiring) and joinery.
The project enabled Pro Corda to reopen the chapel after years of vacancy, which now offers year-round accessibility and full use for courses, events and performances.