USL have recently completed an extensive restoration programme at the Grade II Listed Anglican Church Holy Trinity (Upper Tooting) on Trinity Road SW17, to fully repair and conserve the church tower.
This Victorian church was designed by A. Salvin in 1854/55 in Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings; the tower was sequentially added in 1860 by Benjamin Ferrey. Since the 70s a series of major alterations, extensions and repairs have been carried out, to adapt the building and facilities to accommodate the congregations growing needs.
Major restoration was required to repair damaged stonework that was flaking after decades of exposure to wind and rain as well as structural repairs to the tower, facade cleaning, leadwork, stone carving, roofing, redecoration, internal access repairs and window restoration.
- Extensive stone cleaning of Bath stone dressings to main west tower and frieze below cornice by DOFF cleaning and poultice cleaning.
- Stone restoration included stone replacement in Hartham Park Limestone to; parapet coping, parapet wall, cornice, quoin, belfry tracery, buttress weathering, tabling and buttress gablets.
- Restoration was carried out to the tower walls on all revelations with repointing across tower walls to ragstone and dressed stone.
- Lime mortar repairs to non-weathering areas of dress bath stone to the tower elevations.
- New lead flashing installation to the tower curve, lead guttering to parapet walls, hip flashing to tower roof and new lead flashing to the tower nave abutment.
- New slate roofing to tower in Welsh capital slates.
- New English oak wall plates to tower sections.
- Glazing repairs and overhaul of belfry, tower, Pentecostal and main west windows.
- New rainwater goods & downpipes.
- Clock renovations included backing glass replacements, iron work redecoration, mechanism overhauled and clock face re-gilding.
- New Internal tower gantries and connecting ladders installed within the tower.
- Refurbishment and redecoration of existing cross, base of cross was tapped and dyed to received new stainless-steel road. Cross top was gilded in 24C gold.
- New ladders and gantries were added to provide safe access to the tower’s upper levels including new roof hatches.