USL were pleased to be appointed Principal Contractors for this extensive internal refurbishment and reordering programme for Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh, Essex.
Located on the top of the hill in Rayleigh town, this impressive church is Listed Grade II* which dates back to 1320. The church was in much need of repairs, updating and refurbishment to make it greatly improve its efficiency and accessibility.
The walls were last decorated in the 60s and was suffering from damp, the old pipe organ was beyond repairs, as well as heating, lighting and electrics dating from the 1930s. Our team was pleased to work on this wide-ranging programme to make the building more welcoming, to improve and update heating, lighting, and accessibility; enhancing the lighting and space.
- Internal scaffolding with protection of monuments, furniture, and internal elements
- Strip out of all existing paint from plastered surfaces with repairs to defected plasterwork with full redecoration.
- Existing organ was dismantled with new audio system installed.
- Extensive works to flooring including, removal of benches, sanding of floorboards, repairs to defective blocks, new access ramp created in North Chapel with stone paving.
- Underfloor heating system laid in North Chapel and Chanel with Ancaster Weatherbed stone finish. This also included the removal of all existing systems (radiators, pipework and boiler) with installation of new boiler, pipework and radiators and using existing ductwork to access underfloor heating.
- Installation of limecrete flooring system to help deal with ground moisture and improve insulation - ideal for underfloor heating.
- South aisle east end received new brick floor finish.
- North aisle benches were removed to create additional space for children’s area. Components of the benches were salvages to be incorporated into new vestry cupboards.
- Font, pulpit, and lectern were relocated to new locations.
- Chancel: remove existing choir stalls including clergy desk to make way for new stackable oak benches.
- Install new lighting and power systems to LED with Upgrade consumer unit in choir vestry.
- The electrical system was completely renewed, to be more energy efficient.