Intriguing Brick Cathedral in Surrey is Restored and Cleaned
Appointed as Principal Contractor, Universal Stone Limited carried out the repair and restoration works to the North/South Transepts, the Tower and other associated cleaning works at the Grade II listed Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit in Guildford.
The Cathedral is one of only three Church of England Cathedrals constructed in the twentieth century with a truly remarkable story. Building work on the Cathedral started in 1936, to a design by Sir Edward Maufe. But works were halted by the Second World War and its devastating aftermath. Despite enormous setbacks, regular services were held in the Crypt Chapel (the current choir practice room) from 1947. Once restictions were lifted, funds were extremely limited, instigating the 'Buy a Brick' fundraising campaign, and work re-started again in 1954. More than 200,000 ordinary people became 'brick-givers', resulting in an extraordinary act of public support, opening in 1961.
The restoration and repairs works entailed:
Design and erection of scaffolding, cutting out and replacing defective brickwork, extensive repointing to brickwork across all elevations, removal and replacement of copper roofing to both Transepts, installation of new fall arrest system, removal and replacement of lightning conductors, replacement of mastic asphalt to tower balconies as well as façade cleaning.
All restoration and masonry works were carried out by USL experts with other elements of project being carried out by carefully selected specialist sub-contractors. The project was completed on time and within budget to the satisfaction of the community and all collaborating parties.
"To produce a design definitely of our time, yet in the line of the great English cathedrals, to build anew on tradition."