Copped Hall Receives new Staircase Treads in Portland Whitbed Limestone
USL value the opportunity to work on the ongoing extensive restoration programme at the Grade II Listed Copped Hall to revitalised this premier country estate under the instruction of Copped Hall Trust. Built between 1751-1758 by architect John Sanderson for owner John Conyers, the mansion was burnt out in 1917 and asset-stripped around 1950 before being abandoned to vandalism.
This project phase included the manufacture and installation of the main cantilever staircase. Designed and crafted by USL stonemasons in our Essex workshop and carved from Portland Whitbed Limestone to replicate the original Georgian detailing, the cantilever staircase comprises three flights of stairs, two-quarter landings and a full upper landing.
We look forward to carrying on further works on the staircase and other restoration works in and around the Estate.
COPPED HALL is a fine Georgian mansion that is currently under restoration. It is superbly sited on a ridge overlooking its landscaped parkland. The mansion and gardens are situated on a site of ancient human habitation. Many important buildings, from the Medieval, Tudor and Elizabethan eras were demolished prior to the present mansion being built and enlarged by the Victorians.